Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fat 'N Sassy



Soooo, I'm writing a book. I know, shocking to some of you because I am not particularly skilled at writing. But I have had an idea for a book for years and figured it will most likely take me 5 years to complete it, so I should get started. I realize it is pretty unorthodox to tell people the title and topic of your book prior to publication but i would love some feed-back on the subject matter from the smartest people I know, my friends.

it's called "Fat 'n Sassy". Some of you know that my mother is from the south and she has always used this saying but to her and her family it has an entirely different meaning than to most of us. It means "life is good" you're fat cause you're well-fed and your sassy cause you can be. My take on it is that this is how we should all view the phrase but in reality it's not common to be "fat" and "sassy" because our society teaches us that unless we are nice to look at, we shouldn't draw attention to ourselves.
I am in no way endorsing obesity or an unhealthy lifestyle- it's something I've been fighting my whole life. but my point is that you can still have a fabulous life. you do the best with what you have, try to be healthy, and never let being overweight stop you from living life to the fullest.
some topics covered are
-self-confidence
-diet pressures
-dating- the best friend syndrome with guys- this one is good. anyone who knew me in college knows that i was always in love with guys who were my best friends, who wouldn't date me because i was overweight but who in actuality, i was way too good for anyway. i will most likely be plagiarizing a quote from Rebbecca i have lived by- that "rejection is the Lord's protection" Honestly can any of you imagine me married to Stuart or Dan? oh, good times.
-I talk about bathing suits and how i never understood girls not wanting to be seen in bathing suits because they weren't a size 2. like if when you come out in your suit every one's gonna be like, "snaps, she's fat, i had no idea."
-how if you do draw attention to yourself you should be self deprecating. yeah right.
-always being the "fat-friend"
-learning to love "me"
-how I've learned that not everyone is as judgemental as i am. thankfully.

anyway- these are just some basic thoughts, i promise it will be much more detailed and Witty. what do you think though? do you think i could get away with using real names?

these are fun. i was looking for a really fat picture of myself since there are some of you who never saw me as fat as i was, and some you who probably remember me much fatter. anyway- i had a hard time finding pictures of myself that were really horrible, because why would i save those. anyway, i came across these randoms that i thought some of you would enjoy.





27 comments:

Rachel Murdock said...

Hey Melissa,
That's awesome you're writing a book! You can totally do it. Especially if you add some of your great wit and humor to it. I like the topic too. I'm working on a book myself. I'm shooting for 3 years but we'll see. Good luck!

Rachel Murdock said...

Here is a link to my little self worth shpill if you're interested in checking it out.
http://udamurdock.blogspot.com/2008/07/raes-word-self-worth.html

Katie said...

"you don't know the first thing about fat people" remember that? so, this is really exciting. i LOVE that you are writing a book. I've always admired your confidence and pazazz. There was never anything you couldn't do if you put your mind to it. I learned a lot from you "I really mean that much to you? girl, you know it's true" So, I want TO BUY YOUR BOOK THIS VERY SECOND. So you better hurry... cause you've got the right stuff...melissa ... boy your legs are really long" (sorry about all the boyz bands)

Brecken said...

I think it will be a fabulous book! Go write it! I love your friends quote that " rejection is god's protection". I 100% agree. good luck!

Brecken said...

I forgot...NIles says thanks for the compliment...and is going to start doing Favre impersinations... small venues only: barmitvas, senior center christmas parties, etc. spread the word.

Erin said...

Melissa your book will be fantastic. The greatest thing about all the old pictures was realizing how far back you go with so many friends. I miss you.

duke of earl said...

I think that you are a genius. You definitely should write the book.

MaryClaire Brown said...

love the idea. love the pictures. you and your hilarious witt would make it great. i think the ideas you're going for are right on. i'll give it some more thought though. do it!

Dan and Janay said...

I love it...can't wait to read all about it!
The only thing is your goal to finish your project in 5 years. You honestly think we can wait that long????! Lets make a goal of 5 months. I can handle my excitment for 5 months, but not 5 years.
Janay

Britt said...

I love the idea!! You'll do a great job :)

Jessica said...

I think its a great idea. You would be suprised how many people would identify with your story and humor. I know you don't believe me, but I also have some pics that would shock you (weight). Even Damon hasn't seen them. I guess sometimes I identify with that person more than how I look now. I would really enjoy reading your book. Go for it.

Allison said...

I love it. Nobody can tell a story like you can (except maybe Justin). Anyway, I agree with the previous commenters--I'm sure that a lot of people will relate in one way or another. I always figured you had insecurities like every one else but the difference was that you seemed to do a much better job at not letting them get in the way of making friends and enjoying life.

The Gainors said...

allison i didn't even know that you had a blog. can you add me.

The Paske Family said...

I love the title and the idea. Of course I did not grow up with you and saw you rarely and I already wnat to read more. I think it reaches a wide audience.

Sharol said...

I think it would be a great read. I'll buy it. I guess since I have known you for so long, I never really thought of you as a "fat" girl, but definitely sassy!!

Trisha said...

I can't wait. And I"m SO glad you didn't marry Stu...You did SO much better than that!

Allison said...

I don't have a blog--just a google profile through my gmail account. I may bend to the pressure though. My parents and grandparents are insistent. I'll let you know when we do.

Likely said...

oh , this is good. very good. I think you will do a great job. About using real names, I would probably get the permission of the person.

You know what is funny? I was always envious of how confident you were in a bathing suit. I was never and still am not. But I think it can stem from a lot of things, not just thinking you are fat. I have always felt very self conscious for many reasons. It would be interesting to explore those reasons.

I'd love to help you in any way. We've been friends through thick and thin... :) If I can help you with perspective and from an outsiders point of view I'd love to. I really enjoy writing.

Likely said...

Great pictures by the way. It was really fun looking at them.

familia Bybaran said...

oh my gosh. You are a genius. This is going to be such a great idea and a best-seller and all those boys and girl who ever rejected you because you were fat will eat it (no pun intended) when you become a famous best-seller. I would love to help out in any way I can. I have pictures, stories, recipes (I think you should include "diet" recipes in your book: when you are up late studying, go to taco bell at 2 am and then to denny's and then come home and have cinnamon bears).

I love this idea. I am so excited to talk to you more about it.

P.S. Thank you for only posting one bad picture of me. I know you have lots of them.

The Thomas Family said...

Hey Mel, I echo everything... you totally should write it! It will be great. I'm sure you have great stories and insights that would be so valuable for everyone. Really. And I have repeated that to a number of friends, "rejection is the Lord's protection"... I wondered where I got it from!

Chelsea said...

Well, I think it's an awesome idea and that you are the perfect person to write it. You have a great perspective, one I have always admired.

(And BTW, I'll show you bad pictures. I just sorted through some from college and beyond and it is just shocking that I felt fine about myself. Yikes.)

Samantha said...

I meant to comment here a long time ago, but I also think it's a great idea. You've always been a great entertainer- and you are hilarious. I can't wait to see how this pans out for you! I'm so excited for you. And I love love all of the pictures.

Laura said...

I would totally read a book written by you...or you mom. Either one. Hope you are well.

Brecken said...

Hey, I am sending out christmas cards and wanted to send one your way. would you mind leaving it on my blog. thanks!

The Oakeys said...

That sounds like a book that could very meaningful to a lot of people. Besides that, you should not have any difficulty marketing it; Oprah and the View will be knocking your door down :-)

Amberli said...

i love it i love it i love it! all of it! you for sure should write it and i'll buy a thousand copies and spread the joy because every woman needs to learn these lessons. i've played with lots of different ideas for books...we'll see if anything ever pans out. but yes - you for sure should write this!