Monday, November 19, 2007

Surprise! You don't get to pick your callings.


So my mom and dad returned a week and a half ago from their trip to Israel, Egypt etc. and had such an amazing time(as you can imagine). We expected to be hearing stories of the Garden, the Tomb, the Sphinx and crazy camel races for weeks but i'm pretty sure it will be a while before they get a chance to reminisce since 2 days after they got back, dad was called to be the new Stake President of the Bakersfield California Stake. You never want to be sad for someone who receives a calling I guess, but we were all....well, sad. Those who know them know that they were on a 1 year plan for dad to "officially retire" so they could head off on another mission. Well, sad for them, happy for us. We are glad that they will at least be in the country for a few more years. Mom is convinced of a conspiracy of her children praying against her. I told her that i'm pretty sure our prayers wouldn't trump hers. They told us Saturday afternoon that he was called so we jumped on a plane Saturday night so we could be there for the setting apart(any excuse). Elder Hinckley and Elder Dalton were both so kind and friendly. A highlight was when JJ(my nephew who's dad went to the U) heard that Elder Hinckley went to the U. After the setting apart, he walked right over to him and pulled on his jacket and said "so do you like BYU or Utah?". Elder Hinckley didn't miss a beat. He said "well son, You see that your grandpa is wearing a blue tie? Well, i'm wearing a red one." JJ quickly decided that he was now his favorite General Authority.
For clarification, Becky's family are the ONLY U fans in the family-as will be evidenced this Saturday. Black sheep.
We really enjoyed our day down there.


Isaac charming Elder Dalton. Micahlyn playing with a few of Grandma's souvenirs.





They had so many amazing photos of so many amazing places, these are just a few.



Dad playing Moses, climbing Mt. Sinai.




In front of the Treasury in Petra, Jordan.




Mom & Dad riding their donkeys to the monastery.











4 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

I hear ya! It's sort of bitter/sweet. My Dad has been in for so long and we are all looking forward to him being released! Maybe in another 2 years. I love that you just jumped on a plane to go home for it, too!

What's your email? Let's do something with Claire soon!

Likely said...

I heard this news from my mom and I thought, man, those folks need a break!

My mom was really excited about him being the stake president. It's nice to work with someone you know well.

Your Dad totally looks like Moses without a beard. Love the camel pic.

I can't wait to get to the point where David and I can travel. Well, I can wait and enjoy this time too, but I am excited to travel the world and serve a mission one day with him.

Samantha said...

Man, stake president. that's like a 10 year calling. Your family will be so blessed though.

Speaking of blessed- how about that football game huh? I don't know if there is a better feeling than beating Utah.

Annie said...

and so it goes.... Their pics brought back such great memories. Does your mom have long hair?

I think that we are going to miss you when you are this way...we'll be in Ut from the 24th until Jan 6th. If we don't get to see you while you are passing through this way, let's get together in UT.