So, I like old people. Really. I just don't think they should be heading up the emergency response efforts of our police force. Last week Mariah and I took the kids to the zoo and had a fabulous time. The experience I had after the zoo, left me exhausted and cynical. (Ok I was already cynical, I know). But that is why it has taken me a week to write about it. So of course my children finish the day out by both having blow-outs and the bathroom at the zoo didn't have a change table(something i am ready to start lobbying to congress should be on the building inspection list and mandated by law in every public restroom because really, who should have to change a poopy diaper on their lap?) so i was rushing to the car to change them. It is not a rare occurrence to have to change a diaper on the front passenger seat of the car. This was especially irritating though because it was really hot, they were really hungry and it was both of them. So, I leave Isaac next to me in the stroller while I change Micahlyn real quick then stand her up on the floor while it's his turn. She loves to play with the nobs to the radio(yes nobs- it's an old car) so she is content, while i change him and then lift him out to go to the back seat to put him in his car seat(matter of seconds really). As i am closing the back passenger door- with Isaac all strapped in, I had one of those slow-mo experiences where i saw what was happening in time but couldn't yell quickly enough to stop it. Micahlyn had her hand on the lock to help herself out(which locks the whole car) she hopped down and slammed the door behind her- so proud that she had done it all herself. I was literally 2 feet away- but 2 feet, too far. So there we were, proud little girl, baby locked in a parked car with my keys, diaper bag and of course, my phone.
Luckily(and this was the only lucky thing that happened to me that day), Mariah hadn't left yet so we used her phone to call 911. Now I know that this is the number you call for emergencies- they say that right when they answer the phone. How long would you expect to wait for a police officer? 5, 10 minutes? well they said they had 2 patrol cars in the area so someone would be there soon, but after watching Isaac scream and pant for over 10, we called back. They assured us that help was on the way- I was already searching the bushes for a sharp rock. after 17 minutes 2 patrol cars pulled into the parking lot. no lights or sirens, mind you, so i was already lit. The first cop steps out of the car and i kid you not, this man was too old to drive, let alone rescue anyone. In a slow backwoods drawl resonate of Gomer Pile, he says, "we're gonna try the slim-jims for a while and if that doesn't work, we'll discuss our options". I knew 2 things instantly, 1- these men were not going to be able to open my car and 2-these men knew that they were not going to be able to open my car. I told myself I'd give them 2 minutes. He and his friend from the geriatric ward went at my car on both front doors with their slim jims. Utah apparently not only employs the oldest police officers in the world, they also can't afford to give them training on their fancy dancy gadgetry. Both spent their 2 minutes jamming the slim jims up and down the window shaft as fast as their feeble little hands would let them, while constantly yanking on the door handles. Now, I'm no professional car thief, but i have seen Gone in 60 seconds and I'm pretty sure that Angelina Jolie never looked like she was having a seizure while trying to unlock a car. Also- to add to the situation, by now I had noticed that the air- conditioning( which had been comforting me to know that it was running) was actually on heat, another little treat from Micahlyn. At this point the officer actually suggested that we call a lock smith. I wasn't sure he really understood that this was not a drill and that an actual child was inside the car. So I was done slowly watching my child die. I told them that I would imagine that they had some kind of tool for breaking windows but that if they did not I was perfectly willing to use one of their heads- no I'm kidding, a rock(same difference) to break a window. one guy goes to his car to get a tool and the other one goes back to his car and gets in the air-conditioning and shuts his door, obviously exhausted from the over-exertion. Mr helpful number 1 returns with a little hammer, takes it out of the packaging and lays it on the trunk while he proceeds to read the instructions. "I'm pretty sure you hit the pointy metal end against the glass!" come on, we all have our breaking points. up until now, all of my sarcastic rude thoughts had been kept strictly to the confines of my judgemental mind. but this was ridiculous. Homeboy took at least 10 whacks to crack the window and then stood back like, "well what now?" I grabbed Micahlyn's blanket and wrapped it around my fist while I Rocky style punched out the window and reached in to unlock the door. I flung the door open, half hoping to hit the cop who was still observing. I climbed across the seat and pulled Isaac out and rushed over to Mariah's car where the air-conditioning was going full blast, ripped his clothes off of his poor little over-heated body and he started inhaling water like nobody's business. After 5 minutes or so, the officer who had been napping through the second half of the ordeal, came over and asked if we needed them to call for an ambulance. What I was thinking-"Seriously, no, seriously?-because if we had needed an ambulance, my child would be dead by now." What I said- " No no, I think we're fine".
I held my baby for a while and thankfully, he was fine. I left so angry. Angry at Micahlyn for the heat and locking the car, Angry at myself for leaving her in the front seat. Obviously angry at the police officers who should have been playing chess in a park somewhere. I was angry at the state of Utah for not only employing them but for not having a proper retirement plan in place for them. I was angry at Jonathan for going back to school- which meant we can no longer afford my Tahoe, which had i been driving i could have called On-Star and unlocked the car in a matter of seconds(I'm evil, I know-this one isn't even remotely logical, but this is how my mind works when I'm angry-poor Jonathan) and last but not least, I was angry at the Hogle Zoo for not having a changing table in the darn bathroom.
just a side-note, i got a flat tire on the way home and 3 cops passed me while i was changing it on the side of the freeway. Also the window cost almost $400 to get fixed. Good story or what? Pictures of my naked baby and his sister zonked out on ride home in the slide show below.
15 comments:
What a story! It's amazing to me how so many bad things can happen in one day. I hope the kids both okay, I hope you can now (or sometime soon) laugh at this story, and I hope Jonathon took really good care of you that night--you deserved it!
I am dying over this story. I had a preview on Mariah's blog and now, I'm even more enraged after reading yours. I am so glad that everyone is safe. I don't think I would have been as nice.
so glad everyone was okay! you're such a good mom to punch out the window like that.
How horrible! How frustrating! You could have handled it all yourself instead of calling anyone...so glad everyone is fine and that MAriah was with you!
I totally agree about the changing tables- they need to be everywhere.
I LOVE that you punched out the window!
So sorry about that! I experienced something like that once. I didn't know that when I locked my door with the car on (with air conditioning on so that I wouldn't fry my kids in the arizona heat in the summertime while I ran inside a construction business to get a signature) that the key chain chair unlocker thing (my mind is blank right now) wouldn't open the car. I felt really smart as the lady at the business told me "Why would you ever leave your kids in the car?" UM.... unloading several kids to run five feet inside a building for two seconds doesn't sound fun to me, but thanks so much for making me feel good about myself right now! Anyways - at least it was air conditioning and not heat, but still, traumatic. Glad Isaac was ok!
Melissa! That's the worst story ever. And a flat tire on the way home? Talk about a smack in the face. I'm really glad everything turned out okay- sorry you had to go through the crapper though.
Wow! That's all I can say!
Janay
Oh my gosh, how awful. How absolutely traumatizing/infuriating in every way. I'm so sorry that happened- so SO glad everyone is okay.
Ahahaha! Seriously one of the funniest things I've read (though not funny, of course). Good to see you last week. Thanks for the crepes and lovely visit. You're a good mommy.
oh my gosh! it was painful just reading this story! so sorry for the suckiest day ever plus the LAMEST cops EVER!!! seriously, incompetence anyone? i was angry that a lame cop gave me a $50 ticket last weekend when i called him because i had run out of gas but your story is way worse! so sorry! so glad isaac is ok! and yeah you're pretty much the coolest mom ever for punching out the window!
I CANNOT believe this. First off, you are super mom--you punched the window??? Good for you. Talk about protective instincts kicking in. I can't believe that about the police. Let me just say that if ANYTHING had happened to your poor little Isaac, you would have had a great law suit against the state on your hands. But luckily, nothing did. I would have been angry too--at all those people--and more too.
Melissa -- I am almost crying in sympathy at the awfulness of your day, while laughing at the ridiculousness of the whole situation. I would have been hysterical by the time Issac was out, and certainly would have said some of the snarky things I was thinking. Isn't their motto supposed to be 'To serve and protect'? I think they failed on both counts. Days like that you collapse in exhaution on your bed and KNOW you are wonder woman!
Are you kidding me????? That is unbelievable,I can't believe that you had to go through this, I would've been IRATE!!! I'm mad right now just from reading your post. I know what you mean about getting mad at your hubby for stuff they didn't really do. I totally do that too. In situations like this, everything is Jon's fault, hehe!
oh.my.gosh.
Don't put it past you for one second punching through the window. I can visualize that for sure. Did you feel like you were on Candid Camera or something??? Gee Whiz!
I love how in Utah there is a fender bender on University Ave. and there are like 5 cop cars in five seconds. Meanwhile, baby Isaac trapped inside heated car and look what you get.
Oh, Melissa, I am soooo sorry. I think you should write a letter to the zoo, the police department and maybe to Micahlyn... ha ha. Joking about the last one, very serious about the first two. No changing table AT A ZOO???????? What in the world???? Who do they think COMES TO THEIR ZOO?????
If I were there we'd make big signs and stand outside of Hogle and picket and rally until they installed changing tables.
blast.
Post a Comment