Thursday, June 26, 2008

I know I'm terrible!

I know, I know. Summer is so hard though. I promise I will catch up soon. I will leave you with this thought though. When is the last time you sprinted? I don't mean pushing the treadmill up to 6.5 for the last minute of your workout- I mean sprinted your absolute hardest like your life depended on it. Jonathan and I are playing in a softball league with our friends Justin and Angelique and we had our first game last night. Now let's get things straight. I don't play soft,base or whiffle ball for that matter. I haven't played since t-ball when i was 5 and even then i wasn't very good- but it's coed and Jonathan is great and they needed another girl so here we are. It was great fun, just being outside, playing, with adults. But I couldn't believe how nervous I got when I got up to bat. When your young you do things like this all the time, but as an adult, mind you, a housewife/mom of toddlers, rarely do I find myself intentionally subjecting myself to public humiliation. So i step up to the plate, everyone else has hit the ball- at least made contact you know, and of course i had to follow my husband's home run so no pressure right? and i was totally nervous- i just don't like doing things that I'm not good at and i was really just praying that i made contact with this little white ball, so i swing-and to my surprise, smacked the heck out of the ball, i mean a great hit- then i realize, oh crud, now i have to run. i really didn't think this thing through. so i take off sprinting to 1st base and quickly realize that i am beyond slow. they have already fielded my "great hit" and the ball is in flight to the 1st baseman. It should have been a triple. miraculously, i was called safe but was embarrassed none the less. i stood there on the base, panting, trying to catch my breath and thinking, "I'm sure glad I wasn't running for my life, cause I'd be dead."

12 comments:

Chelsea said...

Ahahaha! Melissa, you are so hilarious. I love picturing this. I would have done the same thing for sure (except the part about making contact with the ball).

Eighth grade marked my last time on the field. The ENTIRE softball season my bat did not make contact with the ball once. So, sprinting was not my issue.

Emily said...

That was awesome! I think it's so great that you are playing softball. I actually have thought that it would be fun to be on a league with my husband. I haven't hit a ball since probably the 5th grade though and I'm sure I'd be horrible!

Likely said...

How long did you watch your beautiful hit before you realized you had to run?

The Hawkins said...

That is funny. And we did miss you the other night. I was so excited to spend time with you guys with no kids. We used to have so much fun together. As I was sitting there laughing I thought, Jonathon would have laughed really loud right there!

Angelique said...

We knew you could hit, you're a natural. Glad you're playing with us.

The Thomas Family said...

That's hilarious... just your thoughts, I mean. OF COURSE you hit the ball. geez, you were always athletic and could do anything!! Kudos to you for supporting your husband and doing things that make you nervous.
Last time I sprinted??? Can't even tell you.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing that you and your husband play softball, Kids are hard work and tend to wear most of us out as it is......You look like your doing a fantastic job with your family, its awesome, thanx for everything, congrats.

The Gainors said...

strebel- if you get on here again, leave me an email or something.

Anonymous said...

strebel18@msn.com

Trisha said...

Too funny...I love that you would do the baseball team for your husband. You are truly wonderful! Tell Justin we said hi!

familia Bybaran said...

Oh my gosh. Too funny. Are you kidding? Softball at our age? That's just not right.

It was so great to see you last week. Vacations in UT always get crazy. I am glad I had a few hours to visit before family pressure took up my time.

Dan and Janay said...

The only reason Jonathan hit the home run is so that he didn't have to actually run, he could just walk the bases and point and wink and stuff like that.

Dan