Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lets Make A Deal

So on one of my first outings as a mommy of 3, I had to go shopping for a new kitchen table. We sold ours with our condo when we left Utah and we are finally moving into a house this week here so it was time. I went to the "Furniture Mall" which is this Costco sized warehouse of great furniture- a lot of brands from down south that i really like. i had found what i wanted online and saw that they carried it so i wanted to go actually sit in it before i bought it. when i got to the "furniture mall" 5 small Vietnemese men greated me and i quickly realized that it was more of a furniture tiajana. no racial slurs intended. not that the stuff wasn't nice but there were no prices on anything. a sure indication that the prices were less than set- which i love. i don't know why i have always loved negotiating. that's what i like to call it. there is something incredibly satisfying about thinking that you have a gotten a better deal on something than anyone else. I also like to tell myself that it is because of my amazing negotiating skills and take no prisoners attitude and not just because the guy was gonna drop the price anyway. so i am stoked. i find my table and sit at it( in every chair) get under the table and really check it out like i'm looking for a loose screw or something. i put on a show for the guy like i'm not really sold on it you know. i ask him what kind of wood it is and about the finish, like any of that means anything to me. " so how much is that again?" "sssssssssss"- this is the noise and expression you make when something is really cold on your teeth- a little painful. " oh, yeah, that's over my budget. i really like it, but yeah, no i couldn't spend that much. is that really the best you can do for me?" this is where the guy acts like he has no control over the pricing and i ask him to go talk to the owner. he goes in the back and when he comes out miraculously the price has come down $300. Triumph. But i'm not done. " I like it, i like it. you know my son really likes those bean bags over there." needless to say i got a great deal on my table, it's being delivered on thursday so i don't have pictures yet but here is a picture of my kids new favorite, tennis ball bean bags. i love tiajana.

this is the kitchen micahlyn got for Christmas. they are yet to play in it. just on it.

our angel Hudson, doin what he does best.

the Gainor boys

Micahlyn finally mastered the potty, just shy of 3 1/2 years old. her reward was tinkerbell- which was really popular 8 months ago when we started this project. it was a little harder to find recently.

11 comments:

Annie said...

OK, first off, Hudson is adorable. I can't believe that you have 3 and I can't believe that your first outing was to the furniture warehouse! You are one brave momma. I couldn't help laughing reading this thinking, "this is sooo my husband." Negotiating is his favorite game. I hate it. I'm just glad that I know people like you. :) good work.

familia Bybaran said...

I love it! I can totally see you in there working in. Hilarious that they are playing on top of the kitchen. Your kids have no fear. Lulu would love to play with them. Cyra is already bored with her kitchen set.

Britt said...

way to go! on the table and the potty training!

Trisha said...

I need you to go shopping with me. I am SO not good at negotiating. I will fight for two dollars at the grocery store when something is not right on my receipt, but to ask for hundreds off...I need to work on that one! Your kids are adorable. Sounds like you are adjusting well!

The Oakeys said...

lol. love it! You definitely have mastered the art of negotiating. The whole time I was reading your post, I was imagining you going through the charade. Congrats again on the new one; I'm glad you guys are doing well.

The Thomas Family said...

Yeah, I'm with Annie. I like knowing people who can barter, I don't have it in me. But I smiled the whole time just because I can so see you doing that!
Well, congrats on your lilla boy! He's is perfect and good job on the outing out.

Rebecca Smylie said...

MAN! I wish I could have you with me. I don't have it in me. They'd say the price and I'd probably ended up asking if I could pay more. That little baby of yours...beautiful.

Brecken said...

What a great bargainer you are. I tried that last week with a top on sale at Anthropologie...it didn't go so well for me. I need to get pointers from you and Chelsea. Your family is so cute. Glad you are doing great. Good luck with the move!

Chris and Karisa said...

Melissa! I can't believe you are back in Cali and all we have to show for it is one trip to Farm Country. Loved looking at our blog though. What a cute family.

Rachel Murdock said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I don't have the guts to do that :)

Anonymous said...

hi melissa!
could you post more pics? I can NO longer blog stalk you! I need some pics of your family and now come to beg for them!!!
xoxoxo
Becky Oakley Supertino