Monday, August 31, 2009

Fat, Fat, Fat.

I've been thinking a lot lately about being overweight, and not just because I was just in my sisters' wedding where every other woman didn't weigh more than 125 lbs(including michelle who was like 7 months pregnant)and not just because all of the women in my new ward are gorgeous and run marathons 2 weeks after having babies, and not just because of this extra 20 pounds i'm carrying around. Note- it's definitely more than 20 but 20 sounds so trivial, like i could drop it at anytime if i wanted to. Case in point, jonathan lost 31 lb.s last month doing this 5 bite diet. i did the same diet and lost 4 but you know, life's not fair blah, blah, blah.
anyway, i've been thinking about it because of this ridiculous, awful, disgusting television show "More To Love". It's gross, and I hate the bachelor and I watch it every week. It's like the car accident, I'm uncomfortable the whole time, squeamish and sometimes even really sad, but I can't pull my eyes away from it.
In case you are unfamiliar with the show, as many people are,it is the Fat version of "The Bachelor". They have this nasty overweight sleazy cheesy chubby chaser guy and 20 morbidly obese women, then like 5 that are just fat. Side note- only fat people can say stuff like this so if you're skinny, don't try it cause people will hate you. onwards. I get that the producers decided that instead of having a bunch of beautiful skinny yatches on the show, they would make one with fat girls. fine. but A. do all the women really have to have zero self-esteem, zero social skills and have never kissed a guy, let alone had a boyfriend? and B. does the bachelor really have to be a nasty pervert to be a guy who would overlook a woman's size? ugh.
It really bothers me when people think that the opposite of judging people for being overweight is embracing obesity. I cringe every time one of these girls goes into a monologue about how they are "proud of every curve and every pound". Liar! you would have the lapband tommorrow if you could. Or how amazing Luke is for loving them for who they really are. No no no. do you also love heart disease and dying young? do you love being tired and unhealthy? No, everyone is not meant to be a size 2 but no one is meant to be a size 20. no one. you should at least be attempting to be healthy. aaaaand, the funny thing is that being overweight is the least of these women's problems. it's like this cop out, " people don't like me because of my weight" they actually think that there is nothing else wrong with them. they would never think to take a look at other things they could improve on because they are just sure that 100lb. is the only thing standing between them and their prince charming.
I realize that i am ranting but i find it hard to believe that the producers couldn't have found women who were "bigger" or chubby or whatever size, that were also socially adjusted and confident. not in a "don't i look good?" way, which is masking insecurities anyway. but women who actually have some self worth, despite not looking the way they would like to. i mean, most women are insecure about their bodies, whether they are a size 5 or 25. most women, with the exception of kristen kearl,(my freshman year roommate who would stare at herself in the mirror everyday and say things like " it really isn't fair, i mean, i don't even work out, but look at my stomach, i mean who do you know that has a better stomach than this?") don't love every inch of their bodies. But i suppose the show would not be a success that way because women with any kind of self esteem would realize that this "great catch" that is overlooking their weight, is actually a complete loser and that needs way more than his man-boobs overlooked.
Watch it.

20 comments:

Amberli said...

dude, i watched this show for like 10 minutes the first couple episodes and i thought the exact same thing and seriously couldn't stand it. i thought i'd be interested in the show because it would show confident, happy productive women despite body image but i was so very much giving the producer way too much credit! of course they choose women whose total lack of self-confidence could be completed exploited to "make good TV." and i got so frustrated watching the women for the same reason you did, that they blamed all their problems and on weight, it never once occurred to them that they could have happiness in their lives without being skinny minis. this is such a major problem in our culture, all the weight pressure, etc. and crap shows like that just perpetuate the problem. ok, so i DIED laughing at the kristin comment! for real that girl was CAH-RAZY! and i won't mention that after she got married she didn't keep that cute little stomach of hers...who am i to judge, right?

and yes, i totally missed you girls in CA too! i hate that i had to miss it. i'll plan on CO for next year for sure! love you!

Likely said...

That show is degrading on so many levels and offends on both sides of the spectrum.

I remember when it was being advertised before airing and they kept saying "25 REGULAR women" or maybe they used the word normal, but that just really bothered me. Skinny girls aren't normal? These obese women weren't normal either, or shouldn't be considered to be at least. That is a PROBLEM if these women are normal.

I watched one episode because I was interested to see how they would approach it. I was really turned off by all the same things you mentioned -- he is weird, the girls are wallowing in self-pity, and it seems so overly dramatic.

I think you hit it on the head to say that most women are self conscious of their bodies, no matter their size. When I watch what I eat I HATE it when others say, why??? you are so skinny! You don't need to lose weight!

Only we know what our bodies are capable of. We know how we feel in our clothes and our skin. I don't want to be a size 0 but I would like to fit into my old wardrobe and be comfortable and healthy. And if a certain girl feels self conscious in a bathing suit for example and you are wondering why because they are so "skinny" you just never know what it is -- maybe it is because she doesn't have a chest (that was always why I was self conscious in a suit and still am) or maybe she has cellulite on her skinny thighs or a really large mole on her back... you never know.

I know some have a very distorted perception of their appearance and need help, but please everyone, don't encourage the girl who is passing up on the baby shower cake to eat it so you can feel better about you eating it yourself. Know what I mean? Now I am starting to vent.

I just feel strongly that we should all encourage each other in our pursuits to become healthy. Let's not sugar coat it ....

You know what they should do? Combine the biggest loser and a dating show... they are working out and eating well AND going on dates.

Brecken said...

About the show...I'm right there with you. I watched about 1 minute and had to turn it off. The girls need help, as does the guy...trouble.

Allison said...

I watched the prom episode and had the exact same reaction. I found it both nauseating and heartbreaking.

Almost as crazy? Your husband losing 31 lbs in one month. That is injustice.

Katie said...

Ok, I've never seen it but I sure liked your post. So, totally off the subject - but still to do with TV - Joey and I keep seeing you (or at least I could swear it's you) on the commercial for Family Feud. Were you on it? Is it you?? Huh??

The Thomas Family said...

You're right on. I watch the show and feel the same. It's crazy too that the only girl with a decent amount of confidence (Malissa--who all the girls hate because she gained her weight after high school) is the one that the Bachelor clearly favors, have you noticed??

Rachel Murdock said...

Haha! Amen! And thanks for the laugh!

Trisha said...

Kristen Kearl...that's a name I haven't heard in awhile. I can't believe she really would stand in the mirror and say that. (And I hated her rooster alarm clock because you hated it so much.)
I've come to accept the extra mom roll on my stomach. Sure it would be great to have it gone. I try to work out every day. But really - work out for hours a day to achieve the body I dream of? I think I would rather read with my girls, play trucks with my little boy who is growing WAY too fast, and would like to have a little brownie every now and again. So -I think we all have to have our happy medium.

A Wrinkle in Time said...

All I want to know is when you are going to write that book you promised us like 2 years ago.... still waiting...

The Gainors said...

katie- yes, i am the poster child for day time game shows. funny huh? yeah we were on it when i was pregnant with Isaac actually sooo, almost 3 years ago. it was a blast!

Anonymous said...

i have never seen the show but LOVE the post! keep 'em coming!

duke of earl said...

agreed

Erin said...

That show sounds disturbing... ugh.
Your perspective is spot on, as always. When you do write your book, it will be so empowering, motivating, and eye-opening. This post could be a chapter in itself- so well written and insightful, humorous but profound. How different things would be if every woman had a sense of her own self-worth, just even a little???

SPOWERS said...

Melissa- it's Stephanie (Andersen) Powers. I just came upon your blog and had to write and tell you what an fantastic writer you are. Hilarious subjects and all so true. Your family is darling! So happy to see you all are well

familia Bybaran said...

Never saw the show, but you are hilarious! Yatches? That's the best word ever. Where do you come up with this stuff?

I thought your analysis was really thoughtful. And I hope Kristen Kearl isn't blog-stalking you.

The Gainors said...

Stephanie you have to add me to your private blog. would love to catch up. you're in utah right?

The Gainors said...

mehrs- i know, huh? i kinda doubt she even remembers my name though so i think i'm safe.

SPOWERS said...

I don't have a blog, lady. It's like the "twilight" series; I've boycotted them both. But I will read blogs...and watch the Twilight movies. Crazy, lazy, whatever you want to call it :)

Bubbles said...

I loved your vent!!! And you should have seen me after I had Asher!! It took me forever to get back in shape. Hey, it was fun visitng with you last week. I'm excited to get to know you better

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

you are hilarious... and sooo right on! i was the same way with that show... so bugged, but couldn't stop watching!